Car, truck and motorcycle accidents happen in Sarasota and Manatee County every day. Some are minor and don’t result in injuries. Unfortunately, an accident can cause serious injuries and even death. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a vehicle accident, you have more than just physical healing ahead of you.
The financial costs resulting from a car, truck or motorcycle accident can be just as damaging as the physical injuries. The medical bills can pile up quickly when you’re out of work and trying to recover from the accident.
What should you do if you are in an accident?
It’s easy to get overwhelmed immediately after an accident. Shock sets in and suddenly your world is a blur of ambulance lights and crushed car parts. Here are some steps you can take after an accident to help preserve your case:
- Call 911. In Florida, if the damage from an accident exceeds $500, if someone is injured or dies, you are required to file a report with the police.
- If anyone is hurt, let the 911 operator know. Medical attention is the most important thing in any accident situation.
- Move your vehicle off to the side of the road into a safe area away from traffic. Make sure to stay off the road yourself; you don’t want to be close by if someone else hits your parked car.
- Do not discuss or admit fault to anyone. By all means talk to the police, be polite and helpful; tell the truth but you don’t have to talk to the other drivers about who is at fault.
- Get the information of all parties involved in the accident and give them your information. Make sure to get names, addresses, phone numbers and insurance information.
- Document the scene. If possible take pictures with a camera phone. If there are any witnesses, get their contact information too.
- DO NOT GIVE ANY STATEMENTS TO THE OTHER DRIVERS INSURANCE COMPANY. You are not required to talk to them and they will look for something to use against you.
You should talk with a qualified and experienced personal injury lawyer about your case. They can help tell you if you’re entitled to financial compensation.
Laurie Zimmerman, Personal Injury Attorney
Laurie Zimmerman is an experienced personal injury lawyer. She spent years as an in-house attorney for the insurance giant Allstate, so she knows the tricks of the trade that will be used against you. Call (941) 364-8503 today for a free evaluation with Laurie and to find out how she can help you. And remember, there are no fees unless Laurie gets financial compensation for you.